Venue

Thorp Perrow.

By kind permission of Sir John and Lady Ropner, we have been granted exclusive rights to cater for private events at their beautiful North Yorkshire home.

Thorp Perrow, near Bedale, is owned by Sir John Ropner whose grandfather bought the site in 1927. Sir John’s father, Sir Leonard, an MP and Durham’s High Sheriff began working on the site in the 1930s and introduced several international species of trees. View Thorp Perrow's Arboretum website here.

This wonderful house can hold up to 60 people for smaller events such as lunches and dinner parties.  For occasions that host up to 200 guests a marquee can be attached to the house with the option of moving into the marquee and closing the house off.  For larger events a marquee can be erected at the front of the house close to the lake, independent of Thorp Perrow, hosting up to 400 people

The building

The façade of Thorp Perrow dates from about 1800 and effectively conceals the long architectural history of the house which stretches back to the early Middle Ages.  When William Milbank came of age at the very end of the 18th century, he set to work to modernise Thorp Perrow with the help of the architect John Foss and together the obliterated all visible traces of the earlier building except for some panelling which dates from the reign of Queen Anne which can still be seen in the bedrooms on the first floor.

There are no known visual records of the old Thorp Perrow but a drawing by Samual Busk suggests that it was quadrangular in shape with corner towers enclosing a central courtyard and that John Milbank retained at least one wing of the existing structure and refaced it.

Location

Thorp Perrow
Bedale
North Yorkshire
DL8 2PR

 

Gallery

Click on an image below to view a larger version.